Louis Pedlar, who was strongly influenced by Earnest Elmo Calkins, initiated the Art Directors Club in 1920 in response to the uncertain relationship between advertising art and fine art. Pedlar brought together a group of art buyers, art department managers and layout artists to pool ideas and knowledge, and to investigate the idea that advertising could be judged by the same stringent standards as fine art.
They would meet at ADC’s original 1920 home, the Roof Tree Inn on West 28th Street, the club moved to the Art Center on East Sixty-fifth Street in 1921. From 1962 until 1971, ADC occupied the penthouse of the DePinna Building on Fifth Avenue. ADC moved to the penthouse of the Newsweek Building on Madison Avenue in 1971, then to the Flatiron District in 1986 and to its new home at 106 West 29th Street in the fall of 2000. (source: ADC)
ADC 2004 /